Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Tastes Like Onions

I had lunch today from one of my favorite local places. It's called the Taste of Scandinavia. (Click on the post title to see their website.) When we first moved to Vadnais Heights, and for a long time after, it was just a tiny little pastry shop. I used to bring Sylvie there quite often for a cookie or a fancy pastry on the way to the park. We would take our treats in their little white bags and sit on a bench or in the grass and eat them and feel we were doing something very Euro-chic. Sylvie usually had water in a sippie cup with hers and I probably had a bottle of Willard's water. (That's what we call the flavored fizzie water from Walmart, courtesy of my mom.) I guess the sippie cup and the water from Walmart probably ruined our ability to look Euro-chic to others, but we were good with it. Anyway, the place is now a full fledged cafe' with hot food, specialty breads, fancy coffee, and yes, they still have the pastry. Today I had their swedish meatballs. They are probably much more authentic than mine and very tasty. They come with mashed potatoes (real ones) and lingonberries. The berries are whole, not sauce, but I find them to be too sour. I prefer good old Ocean Spray Cranberry sauce myself. Again, smashing Euro with the good old Midwest. I enjoyed my lunch heartily, but now my mouth tastes like onions. I love onions, but I guess I would prefer that they didn't linger around inside my mouth. Now I have to go brush my teeth. Anne

No comments: