Friday, January 25, 2008

Free Books

I watched one of my favorite movies tonight...again, "You've Got Mail" with Tom Hanks and Meg Ryan. It's at least the third remake of a movie done back in the 40's called "The Shop around the Corner". I have all three of them and I love them all. The latest one is about a small bookstore owner and her fight against a large chainstore and it's owner. The trouble is, she is in love with him. She falls in love with him before ever seeing his face, through the wonder of email. I love books and I love reading. I love it so much that I have my 10 digit library card number memorized. How many people can say that? I love to go to bookstores and look at books, then put them on hold at the library. Because, aside from reading, I love free. I think the US free library system is one of the greatest inventions ever. Thank you Andrew Carnegie. I also really like to support local businesses, even if they are slightly more expensive than the big guys. I have really come to appreciate customer service in my middle age. Don't get me wrong though, a really big book store with a cafe' in it is thrilling too. I think that as long as libraries and book stores are busy in the middle of a Tuesday afternoon, there is still hope for our society. Anne

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I LOVE bookstores; I LOVE libraries! Bob and I call the big bookstore with the cafe (I won't name names) our Happy Place. We go there at least once a week, usually twice, and share a tall soy chai latte while reading books and magazines for an hour or so. I also am a HUGE fan of the library. I happily pay overdue material fines with the justification that I am making a contribution toward more materials for myself and the community to enjoy. I even keep my McMillan library card current so I can check things out while visiting family in Wisconsin Rapids! Am I a geek? Yes - and PROUD of it!