Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Christmas Music

I don't know if everyone is like this, but I have a definite favorite when it comes to Christmas music. Several years ago, Jeff put the old Christmas albums my folks had on cd. He also made his own midi music cd and gave that to many friends and family as an extra gift from him. He took midi files and tweaked them so they had a sound he liked. They are pretty good and my brother Chris admits that he puts that cd on at work from about Halloween on, untill the folks in his office are about ready to rush him, grab the thing and crack it over his head, as it is practically all he listens to all season. Now maybe Jeff is feeling the same toward me and my favorite. I listen to it practically every time I sit down at the computer. It is called Shell Christmas and was put out by the Shell Oil people back in the 60's or 70's. There were two records in the set with a snow scene on the cover. It is the nadir for me in terms of seasonal music. I listen to it so much, I can start humming the next tune as soon as the last one ends and before the next starts. It is the epitome of cozy Christmas feeling that takes me right back to 331 Woodland Drive and the big hifi. Since it was recorded from the LP, it has the record noise that so many people fight against. I really don't want a cleaned up version, it just wouldn't be the same. I like the skips and fuzz. It has no famous singers, the songs are all choral and happy, a good mix of the religious and the secular. I can't see how anyone could object to it. Maybe I'll just have to start listening to it with my headphones?

1 comment:

Margaret said...

crank that Shell Oil Christmas album! I'd love a copy. Mom's sugar cookies, lying under the tree crossing my eyes at the big colored lights, getting home from girl scouts in the pitch black at 5 pm. . .