Monday, August 18, 2008

Bike Riding


I have a new bike. I saw these bikes out in Colorado when we were there in June. The brand is Electra and the model is Hawaii. It looks like something out of the 40's or 50's with fenders and big fat whitewall tires. There are flowers on the frame, seat and even the tires! I saw the first one locked to a post outside a shop in Durango. I think it was pink. Sylvie and I both admired it. Then, it seemed, every time we turned around, there it was again, in another color. Sylvie was particularly good at seeing them and the phrase, "Look mom, there's another one!" rang out frequently. We saw them in orange and blue and yellow. This seemed to be the "It" bike of Durango and every woman we saw riding them was cool by association. When we got home, this bike kept calling to me. I looked them up on the internet and kept looking. I finally went to a bike store to see one in person. They had an orange one from last year, but wouldn't you know it, all that hesitation meant that they had sold it...two days before I got there. I went home a bit dejected. I talked about it over dinner thinking talking was as far as it would go. After all, my old bike, even at age 14, was still good. Jeff, after hearing me talk about it all through the meal, said, "Think of it as an anniversary gift from me. Go get it." (Isn't he the sweetest thing?) I sat there for minute in disbelief, finally saying, "Really?" Then, getting the nod, I wasted no time getting back to the bike store to order one of my own! The result is the beautiful green bike you can see in the picture. I lurve it! I feel like a French girl riding to the market. I am on it most every day and biking about four miles. Sylvie and I did do six miles one day to the local library, but four is the norm. I find I have to force myself to rest every few days as my knees aren't up to the exertional challenge yet...bummer. I have found a circle route through a park that I really enjoy. There is a place on the route that goes through the woods and over a short wooden bridge. The path has a spot that reminds me so much of biking in the airport woods as a kid. It is cool and piney and I feel about 10 when I'm there. The sense of nostalgia is poignant. I hope my legs will soon strengthen enough to allow daily rides without pain, but I will still ride even if I have to hurt, just because it is so fun! Take a look at www.electrabikes.com for more cool bikes if you like what you see. Anne

1 comment:

Margaret said...

Your bike is green, and I'm green with envy. My bike is black, the color of my jealous heart.